Minter Creek Fish Hatchery 9/2012

We were fortunate that the gate at the fish hatchery was open.  I wanted my kids to see the second dam , where I spent a lot of time in the summers.  I wish I could express in words how much I enjoyed walking through the forest and spending time at the creek.  I feel sorry for my neighborhood raised children.
2nd Dam!!
Annie wished she could get in.  It was chilly.  The trees have grown so you can't see it, but our rope swing is still there!!  
This was the best spot to hunt crawdads.
As kids, we didn't pay attention to the "Do Not Play Near Dam" signs.
 It was a small dam, but it's a miracle we all survived childhood.  :)
The kids favorite part of the trip was our personal tour from the fish hatchery manager, who happened to be there at the time!  He released some salmon from these locks for us to watch. 
The call it the Minter Creek Salmon Hatchery now.  They're raising chinook, coho and chum.
 
We got wet!  Asher was terrified!  My camera ran out of batteries, but he let our kids hold frozen 50 lb. salmon, a frozen muskrat and beaver.  Funnest impromptu homeschool moment...and free!!

No comments: