Friends 1/10

I usually use my blog as a stand in scrapbook, but I'm going to part with the norm and put some of my thoughts on here today.

It's been two months and a couple of days since we've moved. There are so many good things about the move: My husband is loving his work. My kids adore their school. We live by grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. The kids get to go to grandma's story time once a month. It's pretty here. It has hills surrounding the valley covered in evergreen trees (they call them mountains around here). We're living in a charming little house. It's what we feel like we're supposed to do right now.

But somehow, despite all the goodness, I'm feeling homesick.

We had lived in the Portland area longer than anyplace else in our marriage. We lived in three wards in the same stake. It was long enough to feel really settled. Now I'm working through feelings of being uprooted and lots of change. I'm missing the weather, the landscape, the community. I treasure our time there. Definitely the hardest part of leaving was leaving behind all of our friends and loved ones. We left many kindred spirits. I've especially been grateful for all the Christmas cards we received this season. I've been feeling sentimental and I have been caught a few times bursting into tears as I read through them. I'm getting sappier the older I get. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to express my love and gratitude for all the love we felt, all of the service we received and all of the friends we hold dear. We learned so much from them and grew a great deal in our time there.

I know that we are going to make a home here and have memories and friends soon enough, but for now I'm a little melancholy.

I learned a cute little song when I was a brownie in girl scouts as a kid that says it all, "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold.

8 comments:

Reese said...

You are so sweet. I moved around so much when I was growing up so I know how you are feeling. Sometimes I think the parents are so worried about how their kids are adjusting that they forget about themselves. I am sure it is a bittersweet thing to leave friends and make new ones but I am sure you will be happy. I am so appreciative of all my friends from all the places I have lived even though it was always hard to find my "place". I think it takes a good year to feel like you are home. Hang in there!

Carrie said...

awwwwwww. YOu just made me tear up a bit. I like the saying "YOu don't know what youve got til it's gone." Actually, I dont really LIKE it but it keeps bitting me in the butt. I wish we had done more. We miss you guys and think about you often. love you, Amy!

Amy F. said...

Thank you for the kind words!!

Betsy Fox said...

I wish we were there to go on a double date with you and Jess and talk until the wee hours of the morning. Thinking of you.

Kirsten Brockner said...

Thanks for your comments! I've been trying to stay away from other blogs until I catch mine up. Sorry to hear you are struggling. I know it's hard to just change wards. Hang in there. You're lucky you have family and a great husband and great kids! Come visit any time!

Mandy said...

Made me cry...we miss you more!
Come ANY weekend - and stay with us! It would be a blast. Seriously, let's plan it.

Cristy said...

Amy, I miss you and your family! I wish you could have stayed here longer, but I am grateful that I was able to get to know you before you left. I think of you often and hope you are doing well!

Rebecca said...

No, I miss you mostest--of all your friends! me me me! J/K! : )

I went to Lakeshore Learning Center today (for the FIRST TIME!!!) and I was IN HEAVEN! I totally reminded me of when you told me about it and how it's such a strain on the old budget. . .

Anyway, miss you.

Bytheway-are your kids "in" school?